Wednesday, August 28, 2013

clip chart dilema

Hey everyone! So today was the second day of Kindergarten and it was extremely overwhelming. :/ I have a rowdy bunch this year and coming from first grade, it's harder to adjust than I thought it would be. I feel like I am constantly telling them to stop, sit up, push your chair in, enough talking, etc. Well, I had to put two kids on yellow on our clipchart, and even though they were pretty upset about it for all of 10 minutes or so, it somewhat worked. The only thing is we don't really have anything established for yellow besides the clipping down part. I feel like there should be some kind of consequence so they know the severity of their actions and won't want to clip down at all. I was thinking of putting head down for 3 minutes. Is there anything you do for yellow? I would LOVE to know!!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah!

    I currently teach 2nd Grade, but I taught K for 13 years. In my class, the first time they clip down is considered a warning, so there isn't really a consequence. However, if they are still on that color by the end of the day, it counts against them for their weekly prize. Two days of clipping down means they lose that prize (we use coupons). When I taught K I didn't use a clip chart, but had a similar system. They still needed 4 or 5 good days per week to get a prize. It was hard for a few of them to understand at first, but once we did it for a few weeks they caught on. I'm not sure if that helps, but that is my experience. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

    Lori
    The Reinspired Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually make our kinders sit for five minutes during play time. We used to make them walk the track, but that wasn't really sticking with them as a punishment. Some enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete