Monday, July 23, 2012

Another Link-Up

 
Hey Friends! Whew! There are a lot of linky parties going on this week! Today I'm linking up with Janaye at Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes for her Teacher Story Linky Party! She has invited us to tell her how we got to the lovely world of teaching. Here's mine....

When I was little, I loved to pretend to be teacher and give my younger sister worksheets that I would then eagerly grade. My favorite teacher in school was my 6th grade teacher and then my 9th grade english teacher. I always had it in my heart that I would teach. Once I graduated from high school, the education field was looking a little bleak in the way of jobs (still nothing has changed unfortunately) and I got scared and started my first college year thinking I'd do nursing. (I still wanted to work with children though, so my plan was to go into pediatrics) Once I got into the science and anatomy classes, I got very bored and the material was hard. I decided to follow my heart and change my major to education. I wasn't going to think about the job market, I would wait to see what happens. I poured my heart and soul into my classes and graduated in May 2011. Through my method and student teaching classes, I fell in love with all the children and knew this was my calling. All of last summer, I fretted thinking I would not find a job. Finally I got a call in early August for a title 1 math teacher at a charter school. I took it and the year was very successful. I had a super tiny office classroom that was above the gym but I made it work and the children made so much progress. 
My job was cut this year and I got nervous for my future. I applied all over the state of Ohio and into other states. Before school let out, I received a call for a first grade position in North Carolina. I did a skype interview (nerve-racking) and then drove down for an in person interview. They hired me before I drove back! This coming school year I will be teaching first grade (my favorite) and I am so excited to move (less than a week away) and start my new journey. The rest as they say, is history! :D
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Congrats & good luck on your new teaching endeavor & move. Finding a job in Ohio is next to impossible. Smart move looking in other states. I am your newest follower.
    Wendy
    4th-5thgradehappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a story! It is so scary to think about having to find a teaching job. You're right, it's so tough out there! Glad you found one and GOOD LUCK to you next year!! Thank you so much for linking up and sharing!

    Janaye
    Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story! Congrats on getting the job in North Carolina. I hope everything goes well!! I have been teaching 1st for 7 years & love it!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete