Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Currently and Common Core

Hello friends!

I am posting my Currently March for Oh Boy 4th Grade! Can I just say I love doing these?! haha. :)
As I sit here waiting for the fiance to be done showering so we can go grocery shopping...I hate it don't you....I just wanted to post real quick about my in-service I had today. The kids didn't have school and we had to go to other schools for a day long meeting on the math common core standards. I feel  like my school is beating these like a dead horse and we are sick of hearing the same stuff over and over. They're making it seem  like it will be impossible to implement (which in a way might be) and very confusing. I think we can handle the change...we're teachers after all. Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are any teachers out there who's districts have already adopted the common core and how you are liking it. Are lesson plans easier? Is it helping the kids? Let me know, I'd love your thoughts. :) Ok have a good evening!

2 comments:

  1. I am a first grade teacher in California and I also just recently was in-serviced in common core.  I loved it.  I personally can't wait for California to adopt it.  I always feel frustrated at the fast pace we use in math, just so we can get through all of the standards.  I know my kids just end up memorizing things and don't have the deep understanding of math concepts.  My favorite days to teach math are Fridays, when we do Marilyn Burns or problem solving with words and pictures to practice what we are learning.  I would love to hear what others are doing in common core so I can start it in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with scaling back on the standards, but I've also heard negatives from teachers about the rigorous testing and how the students just won't be ready. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

    ReplyDelete